UK Student Loans - How Do They Work?

Higher Education students in the UK can borrow money from the government to fund their studies. Your eligibility and the amount you can borrow depends on if you are participating in a qualifying course, whether you’re studying part-time or full time, whether this is your first higher education course, and your nationality or residency status.

What is classed as a qualifying course?

The university or college that the student is enrolled in has to have degree awarding powers. The degree will be officially recognised if it's on the list of recognised bodies, or if it's on the list of recognised awards.

Full-time or part-time?

If studying full-time, you will be eligible for finance if your course is in the UK and falls under one of the following:

  • a first degree, e.g., BA, BSc, or BEd

  • a Foundation Degree

  • a Certificate of Higher Education

  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)

  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)

  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)

  • an Initial Teacher Training course

  • an integrated master’s degree